Toying with the idea of opening your own aquarium business? While it can be a rewarding venture, it requires serious consideration before launching as operating any retail business is not an easy task. An aquarium business, in order to be successful, should stock a range of home aquariums and supplies, along with stocking a variety of freshwater and saltwater fish. The success of your start-up will depend on your ability to meet customers’ needs while creating a positive atmosphere so they want to return. With a little determination, creativity and capital, you will be able to make a profit in no time. Here is how to set up your own aquarium business.
- Start by planning – Research is the key to success. You should carefully plan the layout of the shop, what kind of fish you want to sell, the price range and which breeders to contact. In short, you need to create a business plan which will help you in making and achieving your business goals. It will also help communicate your idea to other business people, financiers and partners.
- Find a suitable location – Find a location which is easily accessible from the main road with ample parking space. Once you have chosen the location, obtain a written zoning approval before signing the lease agreement. Also, work with a sign making company to create descriptive building signage that includes colourful fish graphics for display.
- Determine the products and services – Build an aquarium store that offers systems for every knowledge level and price. Compile basic equipment and supply packages plus offer larger systems for offices and upscale homes. Identify the needs of your customers and try to fulfil them. Also, determine whether to provide aquarium maintenance services or not.
- Hire sales and maintenance staff – Efficient staff is one of the most critical aspects of any business’s success. The employees should reflect the image and professionalism you want for your business. Finding competent staff could be a challenging and time-consuming task, so outsourcing this task to labour hire agencies is a good option. Agencies for Labour hire Melbourne will have a database where there will be suitable people looking for such jobs. These companies help find the right worker for the job. Recruiting staff from a labour-hire company is cost-effective too.
- Order the equipment and supplies – Make a list of items you need for the business such as size and type of aquariums, filters, chemicals and other maintenance supplies. Then research for a supplier who can offer stock at a reasonable price and that meets your deadlines. To maximise profits order products from a wholesaler. Order fish species from a well-stocked supplier with fast turnaround time.
- Identify your competitors – Locate other aquarium businesses within the vicinity and visit those stores as a customer. Notice the products they are offering and aquarium cleanliness. Ask questions to check on the services they provide and observe how they interact with the customers. Knowing how your competitors work can give you an insight on how to improve your business.
Prior to arriving at a decision to open an aquarium business consider these points and you will be successful in your venture.